For the Chipotle Preserved Lemon Mayonnaise
1 cup/240 g mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped preserved lemons
1 tsp ground chipotle
For the Sandwich
1 lb/455 g warm grilled steak
1 sourdough baguette, sliced in half lengthwise
One 12 oz/340 g can brined artichokes, drained and diced
One 16 oz/455 g can brined sweet peppers, drained and diced
The Chipotle Preserved Lemon Mayonnaise
1. Combine all the ingredients for the mayonnaise in a medium bowl. Leave to sit for at least 30 minutes before using. This can be made 2 days in advance. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
To Prepare the Sandwich
1. Slice the steak against the grain.
2. Generously, butter the inside of each half of the baguette with the mayonnaise.
3. Lay the steak on the lower half of the baguette. Top with the artichokes and bell peppers. Place the top half of the baguette and press gently. Cut the baguette sandwich in half perpendicular to its length. Serve immediately.
- Rinse the preserved lemon peel before using it to get rid of excess salt.
- I slice the steak “against the grain.” This means that you need to cut the steak perpendicular to the direction in which the muscle fibers run; this prevents the steak’s texture from becoming chewy.
- Cook the steak with any seasoning you like, I used salt and pepper.