½ tsp whole cumin
½ tsp whole coriander
½ tsp whole fennel
1.5 lb/680 g Brussels sprouts, stalk trimmed and discarded, cut in half lengthwise
5 oz/ g diced pancetta
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp red pepper flakes such as Aleppo, Maras, or Urfa
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
flaky sea salt, preferably smoked
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 to 3 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Preheat the oven to 425F/220C.
- Crush the cumin, coriander, and fennel with a mortar and pestle.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, pancetta, crushed spices, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and olive oil in a 9 in by 12 in/23 cm by 30.5 cm roasting pan or baking sheet. Season lightly with flaked salt and toss to coat well. Transfer to the oven and roast. After the first 15 minutes of cooking, stir the Brussels sprouts and pancetta; this will help the fat rendered from the pancetta coat the Brussels sprouts; repeat every 12 to 15 minutes. Roast until the Brussels sprouts turn crisper and slightly charred and the pancetta crispy, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the lime juice and maple syrup over the Brussels sprouts, and fold to coat well. Taste and season with salt if needed. Serve hot or warm.
- Pancetta is salty by nature, so add minimal flaky salt.
- Use bacon or ½ tsp liquid smoke for a more robust smoked flavor. If you don’t consume pork, use liquid smoke and smoked salt.