Moving is clearly insane, the last time I did a huge move was almost eight years ago and it was just me. This time round, it’s the two of us and the dog and I can’t just toss things out (I’m a big fan of decluttering, I get anxious otherwise) I need to think about everyone involved, what they love and what they don’t. But now all of that is done with and I am focussed on our week cross country ride which is going to be the trip of a lifetime! There’s new states to visit, places to see, foods to try out, and I’m a little excited that Snoopy gets to share in this big road trip adventure. I know, I sound crazy but I guess it’s what dog (pet) parents get excited about.
My kitchen is packed and gone but before it left, I made this delicious berry flavored coconut milk smoothie that packs the sweetness of ripe chubby strawberries and the goodness of raw ginger. There’s also a reason behind this drink, I started to feel a raw uneasiness in my throat as the temperatures kept fluctuating in the weather and with the impending move and all other crazy things going on right now, I couldn’t afford to be sick. Raw ginger is used as a common ailment in Indian herbal medicine so I figured why not use it to create a spring-themed immune boosting drink. There’s fresh coconut milk (I used the So Delicious
brand because I personally like the flavor a lot but fresh coconut milk would work well here too) and the strawberries, I used were a bit sweet so I ended up not using any sweeteners (I’ve listed a suggested amount but feel free to add as much or as little as you like). This smoothie turned out to be great for my throat but it’s tasty enough to be served as a drink, especially as the heat waves begin to kick in.
I did this fun interview with the very sweet Amina of The Paper Plates Blog
, check it out if you have a moment to spare. I talk about a lot of things beyond food and maybe, my obsession with the Game of Thrones books.
Also, here are some of my favorites links that I’m drooling over;
- Linda of Call Me Cupcake made a sour cream rhubarb cupcakes (there’s a ginger cream frosting that has poached rhubarb on it!!!!).
- Climbing Grier’s Mountain’s Lauren, made this hummus shrimp loaded naan pizza that is simply amazing!
- Lindsey of Dolly and Oatmeal made this gorgeous sauté that’s sits on a bed of chickpea and chive mash. This is one, to see and
- This pickled chard by Love and Lemons is what’s spring should be about.
raw ginger strawberry smoothie
yields: 2 generous servings
1 1/2 cups coconut milk, chilled, unsweetened, low-fat (I used the So Delicious brand)
1/2 cup strawberries, fresh, diced in half
1/2 teaspoon ginger root, peeled and freshly minced (minced as tiny as possible)
2-3 teaspoons palm sugar (optional; I didn’t use add any)
1. Add all the ingredients to a blender (you can also use an immersion blender) and mix until all the ingredients are completely combined. The sugar is optional, I didn’t add any as the strawberries were very sweet to begin with).
2. Pour in chilled drinking glasses over ice cubes or crushed ice, serve immediately. (This best drunk fresh as soon as it is prepared).
Disclaimer: I didn’t receive any financial compensation or products from So Delicious and all opinions stated are solely mine.