One 28 oz/795 g can whole peeled tomatoes, preferably plum tomatoes
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
fine sea salt
1. Strain the tomatoes and transfer them to a high-speed blender. Reserve the juices in the can for another purpose.
2. Add the olive oil and blend over high speed until silky smooth. Taste and season with salt. This sauce can be used directly or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.
- Remove as much juice as possible from the tomatoes to get a thicker pizza sauce. If it is too watery, it will make the pizza crust soggy and undercooked.
- When making the sauce, I sometimes add 2 to 3 garlic cloves to the blender.
- Add 1 tsp white or yellow miso or anchovy paste to build up the sauce’s umami. If using anchovies, sauté the paste in 1 to 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat until it falls apart and add it to the tomatoes before blending.