Egg salad is a tasty classic, in fact I think of it as comfort food. All you need are a couple of hard boiled eggs on hand to make this simple yet tasty salad. During grad school and especially during test season, I’d make a batch of egg salad almost once a week. I’d scoop out generous helpings to stuff between thick layers of toasted sourdough bread. It was my “test -time” meal, my go-to dish. This Indian-inspired egg salad version is quick and easy to make. There’s hint of garam masala and toasted coriander seeds to give it a spicy and mild smoky flavor.
used in this recipe, has a crisp flavor and the texture is smooth. I’ve
used the Original version but they also make a lot of other delicious
flavors such as the Spicy Chipotle and Roasted Garlic which can also
be used in this recipe. Just remember depending on the type of
mayonnaise used the flavor of the final salad will change a little.
Here are some of my kitchen tips that you might find useful when preparing this salad;
- Always use chilled or room temperature hard boiled eggs or the mayonnaise will lose its texture if the eggs are hot.
- If you like this a little hotter, you can add 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce or add a teaspoon of thinly sliced thai green chili peppers.
- To prepare the coriander powder, toast 1 teaspoon of the seeds in a dry skillet until the seeds just start to brown and you can smell the fragrance of the seeds as they toast. This should take less than 60 to 90 seconds. Immediately transfer and grind the seeds with a mortar and pestle. Use as needed.
spiced egg salad
yields: 4 servings
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled (cold or at room temperature)
1/2 cup Best Foods Organic Mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon toasted ground coriander seed powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced (both white and green parts)
2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
1. Chop the peeled eggs and place them in a large mixing bowl.
2. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the thinly sliced sections of the green parts of the scallions. Add the rest of the scallions to the eggs and all the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Garnish with reserved scallions and serve.
Disclaimer: This blog post was created in partnership with