One large/about 250 g ripe mango
1 cup/240 ml plain unsweetened yogurt, chilled
2 cups/475 ml chilled water
Sugar, maple syrup, agave, or honey as needed
1/2 tsp ground green cardamom
a pinch of saffron plus extra for garnishing
crushed ice for serving
1. Scoop the pulp and any juices from the mango and transfer to a blender. Discard the skin and seed.
2. Add the yogurt and 1 cup/240 ml water. Add 1 Tbsp of sugar, cardamom, and a pinch of saffron. Blend over high speed until smooth. Add more water to bring the volume up to 4 cups/945 ml and blend. Taste and add more sugar if needed.
3. Divide and serve chilled over ice and garnish with a few extra strands of saffron. Lassi tastes best the day its made but can be stored for up to 1 day in the refrigerator.
- I use plain yogurt, but Greek yogurt will also work well. Use 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt in this recipe, then thin the lassi with water.
- Frozen and canned mangoes will also work in this recipe.
- Fresh mint leaves are another great garnish with this drink.